What is it?
The Better project is an ambitious project to stimulate regional innovation through better e-governance services. Better e-governance helps councils to improve public services while cutting costs. E-governance can also be used to stimulate the local or regional innovation chain.
Birmingham City Council is participating in this project which will foster a policy environment to provide:
- Better support for SMEs by connecting them with innovation and digital solutions and a better skilled workforce
- Better health for the city and region through improved use of big data to tackle city health challenges.
- Better data management capability through platform tools to enable transformation across the public and private sector.
- Better air quality/transport in the city through improved infrastructure and enabling technologies.
The overall project objective is to achieve a 10% increase in regional innovation activity stimulated by e-Government initiatives by 2022
This will be achieved through:
- Improving the governance of the ERDF policy instrument and linking it to the new UK Shared Prosperity Fund
- Sharing good practice – each partner to identify
- Interregional Learning (Thematic Events)
- Study visits
- An import workshop
- The development of a Regional Action Plan
(which is then monitored)
- Regional event
The Thematic Events will focus on:
- Physical and virtual infrastructure/assets to support the process for innovation
- Development and application of new innovative products and services
- Processes to support new business models and ways of working across private public sector and with citizens
- People and skills to make it happen
Genoa, Italy (Lead partner)
Phase 1 (3 years): August 2019 – July 2022 (Interregional Learning) (semesters 1-6)
Phase 2 (call 4: 1 year): August 2022 – July 2023 (monitoring) (semesters 7-8)
Total project value: €1,285,000
For more information please follow this link: https://www.interregeurope.eu/better/
Check out the Better Press Release & Newsletter